SBS

Hey, I know you know a few silly buggers. Describe them and what they do right here.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Dad'isms

My father had a way with words that always seemed to be a bit on the silly buggerish side. "I'll see that when I believe it." "I'd rather be lucky than good." "I don't mind you calling a spade a spade, but I do mind you calling it a fucking shovel. Especially in front of your mother."

He also was fond of saying "love you too much." Recently I discovered several songs that propagate that sentiment. Doc Watson sang "Sometimes I think I love you too much." And much more recently, Sara Watkins sings the same sentiment in her recording "Too Much."

This phrase has become entrenched in our family vernacular. It is far better than some things I've heard one person say to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment